Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Honey, I am going onsite-III

My home

“Shubha darling. Am home” I entered my house with a big grin on my face.
Shubha welcomed me with a smile in return. I acknowledged with a warm hug
“What made you so happy today pattu? She asked looking at my face
“It happened after a long wait. I am going to onsite finally. My travel date is not so far honey” I said
“Wow. That’s awesome my dear. Come let’s celebrate. Take me to Le Méridien. Let’s have our dinner there. It’s been a long time since I saw you happy” My wife flattered me
“Shubha, but the visa is yet to come. I have just filled the application form and I am not sure when I will get the interview dates. So shall we wait until then?” I told her
“No issues Pattu. We can celebrate when you clear the interview and get the Travel date confirmed” She said
I came closer and kissed her. After a while she stopped me, looked into my eyes and said “Do you know who is going to come tonight?”
“No. Who is it?” I raised my eyebrows
“Mom, dad and Moorthy (Her brother, my brother-in-law)!!! They are going to stay here for a month” She grinned
“Shubha. I never wanted to meet your father again in my life. What he did to me on our Honeymoon trip still remains as a scar. Why are they coming here now?” I asked her with anger boiling over
“They told me over the phone yesterday that they are missing Rajeev so much and feel like seeing him. I only told them to come over. They’ve started from Trichy today afternoon and will be reaching here tonight. I will make sure he doesn’t mess up things this time. So stay cool” She was in all smiles over her face

Oh. Not Again!!!
********* *********

2 weeks later, Visa Interview day

“Maapillae…is everything ready? Shall we start then?” My father-in-law asked me
“Yeah everything is ready. But start where?” I questioned him
“Maapillae…Are you kidding? To the Visa office to get your visa stamped”
“Maama…That’s not a Visa office. That’s called the US consulate. Now, don’t tell me you are all coming with me” I answered and awaited for a positive reply
“Ofcourse we are all coming with you Maapillae… Bhagyam (His wife, my mother-in-law) is getting ready” He told me with a big smile on his face
“This is no excursion. I am going for a Visa Interview. They won’t allow you inside. Only I can go inside the consulate. Ok?” I told firmly
Raghavan, my father came into the conversation from nowhere. “Dey Pattu. We didn’t even prepare the breakfast today because we all felt we can have it outside after your visa interview”

Wow what a reason to stay away from the kitchen

“And may I know who had suggested this?” I asked my father
“Ofcourse, I planned it” He told me with a smile looking at my mom Meenakshi
I looked at my mom with a sense of frustration and agony. She nodded as usual to her Husband’s imbecile Agenda
“Ok. But how can everyone come in my Wagon-R? It cannot accommodate more than 4 people at a time” I questioned him
“I had taken care of that Maapillae” My Father-in-Law jumped in to the conversation with a cup of Chickaree coffee in his hand
“I have called up a Travels yesterday and booked a Qualis for us” He said it with so much pride, a pride which even Neil Armstrong had failed to express after landing on the Moon.

Very well done Mr. Pandurangan (My Father-in-law). Mission Accomplished!!!

********* *********

Nungambakkam High Road

“Pattu, the traffic seems a bit worse than usual. We should have started at least an hour earlier. Do you think we can make it on time?” Shubha increased my BP as far as she could
“We should make it at any cost. I’ve been telling all you guys that we need to be there atleast an hour before. Nobody listened to me by then and now you are complaining” I expressed my frustration
“Maapillae…” A voice came from behind my back. It was none other than my Father-in-Law
“Whatever that had happened in the past has happened for a good cause. Whatever that is happening at the moment happens for a good cause. Whatever that has to happen in the future will happen for a good cause. You don’t worry”
“What an idea Sir Ji…Can you please be on mute till my visa gets stamped?” I told him with some anger
“Athimber (Me)… Why are you getting tensed? Please relax” Moorthy my Brother-in-law gave me some free advice
“Driver can you please drive a bit faster?” I asked the driver
“I am doing my best sir. This is just a Qualis not an Aeroplane” He replied with a slothful tone

Even he refused to listen to me. I had nothing to do at that moment but to nod

“Sir, I need to put diesel” The driver had already indicated a right turn without waiting for my answer
“Can’t you check the fuel before starting? You drivers always scr** up on all critical circumstances” I shouted at him
Someone argued with the pump station guy for the Bill. I was full of nerves.

What’s wrong with these guys today? Nobody likes the idea of me going onsite?

I felt as if the ground below me is sinking

********* *********

US Consulate 9:45 A.M
I handed over my mobile to my wife who wished me good Luck. The last minute hiccups made me ignore my father in law's gestures to relax me. I had to return a false smile just because he was my Father-in-law
Moorthy, my brother-in-law told me there is nothing to worry about and they will ask me easy questions that even a 6th standard student can answer. “Visa Interview is nothing Athimber” he said. I gave him a weary look
I turned around to my wife and in a lower tone, asked her “Is this insane behavior a trademark of your family? Has it come generation after generations or only after me becoming a part of your family?” She tried to calm me down and gave me a gentle push on my shoulders telling me to enter the consulate
I entered the consulate hearing my own heart beat. I did the formalities in the front counter. I was told to go into a separate block where the visa stamping takes place. I saw a queue of confused souls with dream filled eyes just like the scapegoats waiting to be slaughtered
While i was awaiting my turn, i had to eavesdrop how the guy in front of me pleaded not to reject his VISA by the Consular.
I handed over the documents to the Consulate officer with a trembling hand. With lot of efforts I smiled at him and uttered a Good Morning. He wished me back and quickly scanned my documents
“What is the purpose of your visit?” He asked me
“Official” I replied
“Where will you be staying in the U.S.?”
“NewYork”
“How long have you intended to stay in US?”
“May be a year or two”
“What will be your job duties in the U.S. Company?”
Development followed by warranty closure for a specific time period. I will be co-coordinating with the offshore team in Chennai, assign them work and ensure smooth and timely completion of the project
“So is this the first time you are travelling to a foreign country? Your passport looks fresh” He chuckled
“Yes. Lot of chances went down in my early days”
“Give me a brief overview of what your project is all about”
“We work for a Banking client in US. We manage their data in a warehouse. It involves a lot of processing”
“It sounds quiet interesting. Can’t you do that sitting here at offshore?”
“Actually we can. Interacting with the client directly will ensure proper understanding and reduces additional reworks and deliver the code, defect free within the desired timeline. Indeed this will indirectly help the US economy flourish” I smiled
He smiled me back
“APPROVED” The stamp was made firmly
“Wish you good luck” He said
I thanked him and left

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home